Sunday, November 06, 2005

Average Play at San Jac...

San Jacinto College has a real nice, well kept, nine-hole course. It has two tees and you're supposed to play one set of tees for the"front" nine, and the other set for the "back" nine. Playing both tees, San Jac is a short 5620 yard, par 72 course. It has a play-all-you-can fee of $10.00 on the weekends (and $8.00 during the week) and no carts are allowed. When my appitite for golf is high and my funds are low, San Jac is the place I go. The only bad thing I have to say about San Jac is that it is not a regulation course. At least it has no slope/rating (that I can find) and so it does not count toward handicap (as far as I know). They had a sign on the door stating that they would be overseeding their greens early in the week. That's a nice surprise - a course letting you know they will be overseeding. I have heard that many courses let you find out for yourself if you know what I mean.

San Jac is the first place I broke 100 with a 97 several weeks back. I have since shot a 99 there, and today I shot a 101 followed by a 96. Not too bad, but I'm really hoping to break 90 there real soon. Lately, I have been spending more time on the course, and less time at the range.

My play today was just average. My driving started out good (my normal fade), then some strong fades (not quite slices), and by the end of the day I was driving good again. My putting was pretty good with 36 putts in the first round and the second round I trimmed that to 33.

I hit several greens (one from 160); my approach shots were much better today than rounds in the recent past, and I hit a couple good shots with my hybrid (no greens though).

Of course I shanked my fair share too, I just prefer to highlight the positive. Speaking of shanked shots, I lost two balls in the water and hit one out of bounds during the first round. Then, I managed to play the same ball from the 11th hole of the first round for the rest of the day. Now that I think of it, I think that is a new record - an entire round without losing a ball. Wow, I need to reflect on that for a moment...

...

I think that deserves another moment...

...

Yeah, that was indeed a milestone considering my past history of losing balls.

More on the day, I made 3 pars per round - not the best but the bogey count was pretty solid at 15. The shanky scores were one 9 and three 8s (two of those 8s were triples) so all in all, not too bad.

I played with some real nice folks today and sometimes that makes all the difference.

On line for next weekend will be a return to The Battleground with a friend from my old job. I didn't golf when I was working with him but we ran into each other from time to time and next thing you know, we're checking our schedules for a round of golf. I'm really looking forward to it, even though this is the time of year the courses overseed their greens - it will be my third round out there.

After walking 36, I'll be sleeping good tonight...

-Greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home