Monday, March 27, 2006

My 1st Tourney Report...

I'll just cut to the chase for the skimmers (and we know who you are ;^)... I finished my first tournament in 5th place along with two other guys who were in my foursome.

The tournament was at Green Caye (the par 3 course) and it was an individual stroke play event with no handicapping. The weather was sunny and windy as the weather forecast in the previous post suggested. There was a twist where after nine holes, the groups drew the 10th hole from a hat and reshot that hole. The score on the 10th hole would replace the previous score shot there.

I think there were 18 players. The entry fee was $10.00 for members, and $25.00 for non-members. I know there were some non-members there and I know that the prize money was $180.00. So from that, I figure the club only made money on the non-members entry fees.

To my surprise, shock and horror, they trimmed the greens down extra tight for the event. I tend to get a little gun shy on fast greens, but I tried not to let it bother me. They don’t have a practice green per se; they have a 9-hole putting course. This was no help though since these greens did not receive the fresh cut.

The start was shotgun and my group started on the 2nd hole. I started out on fire hitting the green and making a par. I followed that with a bogey after missing the green. Then I hit the next three greens but managed to three-putt one of them. So, here I am two over with four holes to go.

3 4 3 4 3

The toughest holes on the course are 1, 7, and 9. We’re on the 7th and I’m up first on the box. Here’s a look at number seven.



This is a short hole of 113 yards. The water on the left wraps slightly around the front of the green and the surface of the water is about 6 feet below the fairway. The area adjacent to the water is a severe slope down into the drink. To say this green is tough is really an understatement. The narrowest part of the green is only about 10 feet. It’s an elevated green that slopes down along the black line. There are large mounds on the back and right (pink circles). Out of bounds is shown in dark blue. Pin placement for the tourney was the yellow “X. The tee box is elevated and the contrast between the elevated green and the sunken water hazard makes the hole somewhat scary looking. Some people think this is the toughest hole on the course (I think #1 is the toughest). We were playing from the gold tees, which were in a pretty good spot. Pretty good since it's usually extreme left of the box making the water more of a factor. I also showed the white and green tees for no apparent reason.

The best miss here is short and right. This miss would leave an uphill chip keeping the water out of play. Until today, the pin placement had been on the front and I was playing the safe shot with my GW. Today, with the pin up on the back area, I decided to try an easy PW. I made good contact but I was a bit too far right (the shot started well left heading toward the water) and the wind brought it back about 4 feet too much. I landed on the backside of the biggest mound and got a big kick out into the rough (second shot was from red “X”). I missed (missed short, long would be wet) the chip over the mound, but my second one was very nice and the ball came to rest leaving a 5-foot downhill putt. I failed to make the bogey putt and took a double.

3 4 3 4 3 5

I did a similar thing on number eight. 139 yards, wind right to left, water on right, mounds and out of bounds on the left. My 8i landed on the backside of a mound on the left and kicked out of bounds. I took a triple there.

3 4 3 4 3 5 6

The ninth hole is the longest hole at 216 yards. Wind right to left with a slight downwind component. I hit a 3W past pin high on the left. I was between the cart path and the OOB fence and I got free relief from the fence and the cart path, but now I was well past pin high. I totally flubbed with the wedge and took a 1-putt double.

3 4 3 4 3 5 6 5

Our final hole was #1 since we started on #2. This hole has water all along the left and OOB along most of the right. Larger mounds on the back of the green and smaller mounds on the right. The green is elevated with a shallow, playable ditch that runs in front. The best miss here is short (even with the ditch), but right is not bad if you stay in bounds and the pin is not too far right. The length is 180 yards. Here's a look at #1 with the same marking scheme.



I hit a 5i and made good contact but did not aim enough left. I landed long on the right just missing the OOB (red shows landing spot and second shot position). Again, I completely choked with my chipping and took a 2-putt triple.

3 4 3 4 3 5 6 5 6

So, I’m sitting on a 39. We return to draw our 10th hole and lucky for me, we draw #8. This time I hit a 9i well out over the water on the left and the wind just pushes the shot enough to land on the right fringe. I had a long putt that I left six feet short. I ended with a two-putt bogey and 37 for the tournament.

3 4 3 4 3 5 4 5 6

I didn’t think I had any chance, but I hung around to hear the results. Third place was announced as a three-way tie between me and two others (both in my group) and we were each awarded a Hamilton (“It’s all about the Hamiltons baby!” right GC?). Second was a 35, and first was a 33.

Then two bozos decided to turn in their cards and they both had 33s. So we gave our money back and they decided to have a playoff.

Since the tournament started late, I took a pass on watching the playoff.

Next time I’ll post some thoughts on the event in general and the difference between how we play in a tournament vs. how we play day-to-day.

For those who made it this far, thanks for hangin’ in there,

-Greg

2 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Golfchick said...

Nice work in your first tournament! Looks like a fun little course, too. I liked the twist with the tenth hole. "Girl acted like she'd never seen a ten before!"

Congrats!
-Kristen

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Thanks GC! I've been enjoying that link!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home