Monday, November 28, 2005

Post Thanksgiving Update...

The Best of Times... The Worst of Times...

Why is it that in golf you can follow your best hole with your worst hole? You can post your best nine and then finish with your worst?

My 16th Regulation Round...

I played some of my best golf Friday after thanksgiving along with a good measure of my worst. I was right on target to match or break my best score after completing the front nine at Bayou GC. My driving was straight and consistant like never before. I hit five of seven fairways, got two GIRs (one was the par 3 5th, 171 yards into the wind - which I three putted), made three pars, and hit my fourth ~300 yard drive (297). That's right, I said 300 yard drive. The big deal here is that this time, I had three witnesses and there was no bouncing on the cart path involved. Just a long, 297-yard drive that landed on the fairway a scant 112 yards from the center of the green... Then I hit it into a sand trap, then two shots later I was on the fringe, but putted in from there (for a double). But still, that was one long drive!!! I headed for the 10th with 47 strokes on the scorecard and some serious confidance in my driver.

On the 10th I hit three consecutive shots out of bounds and finally completed the hole with a 13 - my worst score ever (again!). I regrouped and managed three bogies (though two three-putts) and a triple on 14. The 15th was a replay of the 10th with three consecutive shots out of bounds on the right. I managed an 11 on this par 5, but these two brutal holes brought my game from stellar to average. My straight driving came back on 17 (double) and 18 (three-putt bogey) and I finished with 109. On the day I hit 8 fairways, got 5 GIRs, and made 41 putts (8 three-putts, 3 one-putts).

Even though the course was busy we never had to wait for more than a minute or two and we rarely had the foursome behind us breathing down our necks. In the past this has bothered me quite a bit. It might be more because it used to take me more shots to reach the green... okay, to get near the green.

I left with some disappointment because I had a shot at breaking 90 because I usually do better on the back, but still very happy with what I learned about my driving.

The "What-if" game...

OK, if I managed a double on those two holes and made half as many three putts I would have walked away with a 95. Had I bogied those holes and elimitaned the three-putts I would have carded an 89. Maybe I should have had more than "some" dissapointment? Nah, I had a great round even if I did demonstrate "how to consistantly slice" six times.

The Lesson...

What did I learn? I confirmed that keeping my right elbow attached to my right side through the backswing and contact will result in a straight drive. I can see why I slice the ball when my elbow comes away - it's because I need to pull the head of the driver towards me prior to contact which induces the spin that causes the slice. Knowing that, I wonder if I can develop a more classic swing that does not require the attaced elbow? Only range time will tell. Then again, why mess with what works? If I can hit long and straight with a short backswing, why change?

Next Stop: The Battleground...

With my wife working every weekend this month I'll be leaving the office early to get my fix. This week I'll be playing with a local who contacted me through mygolfbuddy which is a pretty cool site. Will this be the time I break 100 at The Battleground? I sure hope so. Every time I finish a round I feel I've learned something that will help my next round. This last round that feeling is very strong and I've never felt more confident with the driver. My irons have been getting better too. If I can just play well around the greens I should be able to record a new personal best. Stay tuned ;^)

-Greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home