Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Last Two Weeks (Part One)...

First...

Happy Anniversary to Me :) I played my first round (after only hitting at the range once) a year ago today. A future post will review my progress as a beginner. Now on to the program...

The Perfect Plan...

I patiently waited till I could reserve a Tee time at Tour18 in Houston. I called as soon as they opened and had my choice of times. I took 7:48. That was May 25th. Dad would arrive on the 31st and there was a lot to be done in the week ahead.

My Son's Birthday...

The big 4. A great party for the kids and adults. The miraculous thing was that my wife and kids had finally seemed to overcome a brutal virus that had taken hold of them. As usual, I made it through this sickness unscathed (yes, I do like foreshadowing...).

I rarely get sick. When I do get sick, I get good and sick. The past week was no exception...

I wanted to get a final round in before Dad got here, so I had set up a tee time for Sunday, the ay after my Boy's Birthday party. During the party, I noticed I seemed to have a little scratchy thoat, but I thought it was mostly from all the talking during the party. In the back of my mind, I had a sinking feeling.

I awoke Sunday morning with a little bit of a sore throat, but not to bad. No fever like the rest of my family, so I thought I might have just gotten a little to much conversation in at the party (4-year-olds really seem to enjoy my stories :) ).

By mid-round at The Battleground, I knew I was developing a fever. I had some Tylenol, so I took a couple and finished the round. I shot a 103 by the way.

That night my symptoms got worse. My throat clamped up, my fever fired up, and more flu-like symptoms hammered me into a useless pile. I felt bad because I did not have the strength to help my wife get ready for the inlaws' visit. She worked her butt while I laid in bed. To make things worse, she knew the main reason I wanted to get better was to golf on Thursday.

Well, I got worse, the rains descended on Houston to the tune of 10+ inches over several days. Monday night my temperature hit 105.8 so I was in the Doctor's office the next morning. The Doc told me I should have went in to the hospital with a fever that high. She suspected I had Acute Bronchitis, warned it was likely caused by a virus that would just have to run it's course, but gave me a five-day antibiotic just in case it wasn't.

I took the day 1 dose and tried to rest. My daughter had a rehearsal for her part in Peter Pan that day, so by try to rest, I mean watch my son (and try to rest). We spent the ay inside not because I was sick, but because Houston was entrenched in a rainstorm. During all of this, I continued to take Tylenol and monitor my temperature. I felt very weak, it was hard to breathe, and I had to fight to stay awake. At some point, my temp snuck back up to 101-ish so I took more Tylenol and tried to drink Gatoraid. My Mom called and I told her what was going on. My temp was now creeping up toward 103. I decided to call my Mom every 30 minutes and told her to call me if I didn't. I did not want to fall asleep with my temp going up. And go up it did... 103... 104... At 45 minutes after I took the Tylenol, my Wife stopped in to check on me. She took my temp and it was 105.8 again!!! We were at the hospital fifteen minutes later.

The inlaws are coming in Wednesday in the early evening at IAH across town...

I'm scheduled to play the round I had been preparing for for months...

It's raining cats and dogs and courses are closed all across the city...

Can it get any worse...

To be Continued ---->

-Greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home