Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Continued Confidence...

Went to the range last night to see if the things I have been doing are indeed the key to straight shots. I hit several with the driver and confirmed that I have found what works for me. At this point, I can send the ball in the direction I want it to go with a very playable amount of error. I also tried dropping my shoulder and letting my elbow pull away to confirm what not to do.

Next I hit a few with my hybrid which continues to be long, but lacking in directional control. I hit some straight, but many fade, slice, hook, or draw. I think the key with that club is to ease off the power a bit.

I next hit a few with the 3 and 5 woods - the Adams Tight Lies (the original ones). By applying the same techniques as I do with the driver, I get nice straight shots. I'm not too sure what distance I get with these clubs, but I'm fast approaching the point where I will use them on the course.

Finally, I hit several shots with the three iron. Results were highly variable at first, but I did manage to hit a few with good results. I'm not sure what the key is to consistent good shots with the tall irons is, but I seem to be making progress.

As I neared the bottom of the bucket, I packed up and moved over to the chipping area. I paced off three stations at 30, 40, and 50 yards. I placed my towel on the edge of the green where I wanted the ball to land and hit several shots from each station. I did poorly at first, but got much better by the time I finished.

Finally, I went to the practice green. There are three cups on a long (80 ft) and narrow three-tiered green, with one cup on each tier. I started by hitting four-footers until I made ten in a row. Then I started a circle exercise where I would try to two-putt from one hole to the next, and then to the next, and then all the way back (60+ ft). I did this until I had made three 2-putts in a row.

I will be sure to add the chipping and putting exercises each time I go to the range.

I have some follow-up stuff to add from previous posts, but I'm going to publish this post because I accidentally pressed the "Publish" button after only typing in the title.

Tomorrow I'll be playing The Battleground and looking to hit lots of fairways!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home