Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Catch Up Post...

Things have been busy and interesting for me. I have had little time to blog and now I'm so far behind I need to catchup quick or forget what I've left out...

One year review...

I started playing golf on June 3rd last year. On that day I played Timber Creek Golf Course with my Father-in-Law. I shot 140 that day.

Since that day I have played many rounds at the local Per Three course, spent many hours at the Driving Range, and managed to play 47 rounds of regulation golf.

Here are charts of my scores and handicap over my play to date. It shows my initial handicap of 33.03 dropping down to 23.2 over 27 rounds:


I managed to take the kids out a few times. They both enjoy it and love to ride in the cart. They still have to grow into their clubs, but time will take care of that.

I wanted to participate in tournament play to help sharpen my game, but the wife's work schedule won't allow it.

Followup to Round with Dad...

You may recall I had a bout with bronchitis and only partially recovered enough to play a round with Dad the day before he left. That was almost a couple of months ago. In addition to that bronchitis, I managed to give myself a hernia just before they arrived.

Countdown to Launch...

I hope everyone is aware of our very successful STS-121 mission. The mission is a big part of my lack of golf and blogging lately. Preflight, I was busting my but to certify. Then I scheduled my hernia surgery for July 5th - two days after the Orbiter rendezvous with the Space Station. I knew there was a pretty good chance the flight would be delayed by weather, but my team decided I should schedule my surgery anyway. Well, I did and I was recovering at home when we docked. Oh well, STS-115 is just around the corner and I'll be in the MCC for that one (and the rest as well).

Before surgery...

Prior to going under the knife, I played a fast round at San Jac and shot a dismal 101. Following that, I took a day off on my birthday and went back to San Jac to redeem myself. And redeem myself I did! I played two rounds and shot 81 and 83. The 81 is a new course record for me, and after shooting 43 on the front, an awesome round!!!

Post surgery...

The Doc was a golfer and he said I should wait at least two weeks before I hit the links. He said I should feel it out and if it hurts, give it some more time. Well, two weeks and a day or two, I went down to Green Caye and signed up for a month with a cart. I was still feeling some pain, but I figured I could do allright riding at the par-three course. And I did, I shot eighteen holes and shot 31 and 36. I clubbed up on all shots and swung easy.

Then I decided to hit The Battleground exactly three weeks post surgery. That was a mistake. Swinging the driver took it's toll and walking up and down the very elevated greens only agrevated the situation.

That about brings me up to date. I took my son to Green Caye Monday, and I'll be taking my daughter tomorrow. I'm still hurting some and I'm not ready to walk a course. I'd probably be in better shape if I could wear sweats to work because wearing dress pants and a tucked in shirt applies enough pressure to have me in pain by the end of the day. Of course, this can only be delaying a full recovery. So why am I at work you say? That's easy, I love my job!

DTIGT (Days Till I Go There)...

I'll be heading to Wisconsin in a couple of weeks. I'll be playing with Dad at his home course with a random set of clubs. Dad usually walks, so I'll have to make a smart choice.

Well, that catches me up with my blogging. I made a good choice to have the surgery during the hottest part of the year. I'm looking forward to late September. With our return to flight, my mind is on my job, even when I'm golfing.

Back to work,
-Greg

Follow Up - I found a previously unpublished post from late May while I was cleaning out my drafts. It landed in the correct place (thought it would float to the top).

2 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger Golfchick said...

Well that explains the dry spell that left us wondering what was going on! Unpublished drafts... pshaw.

That's great that you love your job so much. I love your job, too! Only thing is, with all your injuries, you are like an accident waiting to happen. I'm sure you're more cautious with the shuttles than yourself. :)

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wisconsin has some amazing golf courses. Have fun and get in more than one round!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home