Saturday, October 21, 2006

Secrets Revealed...

My regular readers know that over the past several months I've added at least 2-3 clubs of distance to my irons. Where I used to hit a 7 iron 150 yards, I now hit it 170 yards or more. I have a very short back swing and I never fully hinge my wrists. My swing takes the club back to maybe a tad past vertical. Most folks I play with can't understand how I can hit it so far with such a compact swing.

I'm pretty sure I've blogged about why I thought I had gained so much distance, I attributed this gain in distance to rotating the club face through impact.

Now, some time ago I signed up for Golf Magazine. A couple weeks ago, the first issue arrived. The feature article was entitled, "Instant Power Move" and where I thought I may have found a key to even more yards, I merely confirmed the cause of the yards I've already gained. I've been trying to get some of my friends to try it, but I've not seen it take on any of them.

Check out the article.

Try it on the range for a few days.

You'll like the results once you get used to it.

The article makes it seem like a forced turn, but it's very natural. I just think, "Open face back, close face through impact". If I want a little more distance, I press the shoulder turn a bit more and open the face a bit more on the way back.

The other thing that has helped with distance is impact position. My hands are out in front of the ball at impact and I'm hitting down and through on the ball. I get this impact position set up at address. My hands are forward towards my left pocket and block my view of my left ankle. In addition to promoting a good impact position, this set up de-lofts the club and adds even more distance.

Chances are, you've heard these tips before. I just wanted to point out that they work for me.

Questions?

Comments?

Future topic - Hitting the range with my new clubs:



Yep, I wanted a set I could call my own and went with the Bridgestone J33 Combos.

Till next time,
-Greg

1 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI
I WOULD LIKE YOUR COMMENT ABOUT
MY INVENTION.
GOOGLE: 2WAYGOLF
MY E'MAIL ADDRESS IS LISTED
ON MY PAGE.
THANK YOU
BOB JOLY

 

Post a Comment

<< Home