Sunday, July 30, 2006

Fast Play With My Son...

I got to the course early Friday after work. This time I had my son with me. He's eighteen months younger than my daughter so he's mostly interested in riding in the cart and running up and down the mounds around the greens.

For me, the key to golfing with a four year old is the same as shopping with a four year old. You have to keep moving so the little guy has to focus more on keeping up and less on getting into trouble. So, I played three fast loops in about two hours. Then we hit the range to "clean up" a bit. What I mean is, since there was no one on the range and there were golf balls and baskets all over the place, I decided to "clean up" some of the balls while my son gathered the empty baskets. Then we both hit a few shots.

The fast pace was enlightening - less time to think can be a good thing. I did pretty good off the tee, but my putting was not as hot as it was last time. I made one birdie and missed three that were within 10 feet (one went past five feet and I missed the comebacker for a three putt bogey - ouch).

Here's the stats on 27 holes at the par three course:

Game 1 (32):
5 pars (1 up&down)
0 birdies
1 double
4 GIRS
18 putts

Game 2 (36):
0 pars
1 birdie
1 double
2 GIRs (had a three putt bogey here)
16 putts

Game 3 (34):
3 pars (1 up&down)
0 birdies (missed 2)
1 double
4 GIRS
16 putts

I'll be going out without kids this afternoon. I'll be trying out my new putter. Yeah, and just when I started getting the feel of my old one. My old one is a $10.00 special from Academy Sports. I decided to get a center-shafted mallet style putter. I bought the Catbite Z-two for $30.00 on eBay. It looked like I'd have an easier time with allignment. A few putts in the house are telling me that I may need some time to get used to it.

I'll post the results...
-Greg

3 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Golfchick said...

Greg,

It sounds like you're having so much fun, and that's what it's all about!
Pay attention to your tempo/rhythm and try to recreate that relaxed state of mind when you take your game out to a full course without your good luck charm.
Good for you!

-Kristen

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your new putter!

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Golfing with the kids is a different kind of experience. You really can't focus on the game, you have to focus on the kids. My prupose for the moment is to expose them to the game in a way that is most fun for them. Now I'm left to wonder why I shot my best round ever with my daughter. You'd think, since you can't really focus on your game, that it would not be possible.

They both hit a few balls off the tee and do a little putting. Then they lose interest in the golf and just enjoy whatever shenanigans Dad can come up with.

I hit a few more with the putter in the house and nailed two long ones in a row. I'm guessing it will be like any other putter - some days hot and the rest not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home